Multi-Signature Binding

Last night we made a book using 8 signatures with instructor Jana Pullman and collected the paper we’d made the week before with Jeff Rathermel. We were pressed for time as Jana tried to condense what would normally have been a six hour workshop into three hours, but we came out on the right side of 9 pm. There are one or two minor things wrong with my book, but the important thing was learning how to sew multiple signatures together.

book2.jpg

book1.jpg

paper.jpg

Clamshell Portfolio Case

During this past weekend’s snow storm in Minneapolis (just over 17″) I decided to make a clamshell portfolio case following instructions from a book by Tom and Cindy Hollander. It’s constructed from 0.08″ Davey board and Japanese book cloth. It’s small – 6.5″ x 8.5″ x 1.5″ – but was a great size to start with.

caseclosed.jpg

case_open.jpg

The Broadside Edition

Yesterday evening I got to finish my first letterpress broadside edition. Printed on 10″ x 10″ Zerkhall Frankfurt paper, linoleum block image in warm grey, Garamond and Times New Roman 14pt type in Chocolate Brown.

IMG_0791.jpg

IMG_0792.jpg

Printing the Edition

Last Monday evening I set up the linoleum block on the Vandercook to proof and print the edition. Placing the furniture prior to locking up was more of a Rubik’s cube than I imagined, although it’s not rocket science. It’s similar to one of those puzzles where one tile is missing and you have to move the remaining tiles up, down and sideways to get the numbered pieces in order.

I decided to choose a warm grey for the image colour, but it didn’t give me the depth of ink I was looking for, so I ran the press in trip a couple of times to deposit more ink on the the plate. But by the time I was happy with the ink density the image had become more of a black. Live and learn.

Like most things, it’s all about preparation. Once everything had been locked up, the roller height checked, ink chosen, the image correctly positioned on the paper and the proofs made, the actual printing of the edition took no time at all. Next week, with the image now printed, I’ll make a start on proofing and printing the type.

I’ve already signed up for the Letterpress II course in March.