Polymergravure Workshop

sothgravure-6 copyI’ll be leading another polymer photogravure workshop at Highpoint Center for Printmaking in Minneapolis towards the end of the year. Instead of the usual 2.5 day workshop that I’ve taught in the past, this will be just two days — Saturday and Sunday.

The traditional process of copperplate photogravure is a complex and time-consuming one, but this alternative and contemporary method uses polymer plates that are processed in water and are both environmentally friendly and quicker to work with.

This introductory workshop will guide you through each stage of the process from the original image file to the final print. Techniques covered will include how to make the film positives using Adobe Photoshop and an inkjet printer, how to expose and process the plates, and methods of inking, wiping and pulling prints.

gravureParticipants should bring a digital file of an image (either from a digital camera or from a scan) that has been edited and is ready for printing. Polymer plates, aquatint screens, proofing paper and ink will be provided although participants may wish to bring their own additional printmaking paper.

The class size will be limited to 8 and the registration deadline is November 23rd.

More information at Highpoint Center for Printmaking.

Highpoint Center for Printmaking
912, West Lake Street, Minneapolis, MN 55408
Telephone (612) 871-1326

Backups

1169209_1474746442759801_699507810_nI was thinking of writing a post on backups only last week when on Saturday the inevitable happened. I was locked out of all my websites (all are on one server) and unable to correct it. The sites were still live, so people could see my websites (the front end) but I was unable to login as an administrator at the back end to add posts and new content, or to delete and change any settings or files that may have caused the problem in the first place.

During the day and a half that my sites were affected and while I waited for the hosting company to figure out a solution (by now we realised it was on the server side), I decided to do some cleaning up of the server and a undertake a completely clean install of WordPress on my main website. Not just the WordPress files but the database too – everything. In for a penny, in for a pound I figured, so I erased all the files. All. Of. Them. And the database.

The good news was that I knew I had solid backups going back twelve months for everything; the database, plugins and themes etc. No way would I ever have contemplated doing any of this without knowing that they were there and, more importantly, that they would work. The bad news was that it took the best part of Sunday for me to go through the backups and upload only the most relevant files. Out with the cruft and in with the new. Now I’m all “Ooh, look, shiny!”.